Monday, May 16, 2011

Run Dad Run



Jeremy registered for the Indianapolis Mini-Marathon almost 6 months ago and consistently trained for this run. He'd done it before a few times, before kids, before the constant tug at your attention, time, patience and persistence. This was one more ball for him to juggle and he did it. I decided it deserved some of our Saturday morning attention, so we made the trek downtown to watch the race in action. The weather wasn't fantastic, but the girls were troopers. We posted up right where I told Jeremy we would be, which happened to be next to 1/2 the radio personalities in town, and waited for any guy wearing an obnoxiously bright orange shirt.




L: "Here comes an orange shirt, is that my daddy?"

Me: "No, that's not your daddy, but he'll run past here soon."

L: "That's not my daddy, that guys faster than my daddy, but don't worry mom, daddy won't be last, he's not gonna be last."


(Radio personality snickers)


Me: "Honey, I know he won't be last, keep looking for him."


L: "Here's another orange shirt coming, he's driving a wheelchair, he's super fast, he's faster than our daddy."


Me: "Yep, honey he's faster than your daddy, but daddy will be here soon."


*Daddy comes by with 1 mile left in his run, running a pace to beat his goal of 2 hours. He hugs both the girls and makes sure they know how much he appreciates them coming to see him run, then he's off.


L: "See guys on the radio, that was my daddy and he soooooooooo wasn't last."



He ran through the finish at 2 hours and 33 seconds, but we are shaving off those seconds of him greeting his girls and he made his goal! Congrats Jeremy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Knowing my "team" was close to the finish line was my motivation. Thanks Ash ladies for and your support for allowing me to "get my run on"!

Daddy

Anonymous said...

Great run Jeremy we are so proud !!